Typography - Project 1




(Week 4 - Week 6)
Jenani Raja Saker (0334331)
Typography
Project 1

LECTURE NOTES 
Lecture 4 
(Week 5)
I was not present for class as I was as sick.

Lecture 5 
(Week 6)
There was no lecture this week, as the feedback session took up most of the time.

INSTRUCTIONS


PROJECT 1
Week 5
I was not present and didn't manage to complete much work as I was not feeling well due to the haze. 

Week 6
The article that I chose was the article regarding the Bauhaus Movement. So, I decided to do some research on Pinterest and Internet regarding the Bauhaus Movement. 
Figure 2.1; Posters of Bauhaus Movement
Figure 2.12 ; Article regarding Bauhaus Movement
Bauhaus Movement is based on the principle of "Form Follows Function." There is no element of purposeless decoration. They follow :
  • Honesty to Construction and Death to Decoration. 
  • Every single element of design has its own function and is not there as a decorative element. 
  • Uses of linear and geometrical works and avoiding uses of floral or curvy (useless) visual decoration. 
  • Very minimalistic.
Here are some explorations of my ideas through sketches: 
Figure 2.13 ; Sketch 1
Figure 2.14; Sketch 2
Figure 2.15; Sketch 3
Figure 2.16 ; Sketch 4
Unfortunately, for me I did not take screenshots of my previous work before the feedback that I got from Mr. Vinod. But he did ask me to combine a few ideas of the options that I had designed.

Below are the options that I finalised : 
Figure 2.17; Option 1; Bauhaus
Figure 2.18 ; Option 2; Bauhaus
Figure 2.19 ; Option 3; Bauhaus
Figure 2.2 ; Option 4; Bauhaus
Figure 2.21 ; Option 5; Bauhaus
Figure 2.22 ; Option 6; Bauhaus
Mr. Vinod chose Option 4, with a little bit of tweaking here and there, removing certain widows and orphans from my text. Though, in overall I wasn't too happy with the option that was chosen, as I felt it was a little too plain. The longer time I took looking and analysing my work, I begun to appreciate it more, and realise that it did reflect on the Bauhaus Movement which is more of simplicity.

Below is the pdf and jpeg version of my chosen The Chosen One:


Figure 2.23; FINAL ; Bauhaus Movement

FEEDBACK
Week 5)
General Feedback 
1. I was not present for class as I was feeling ill. However, from my friends I gathered that, bodies of text must be connected to make sure that text flows from one box, to the next.

Specific Feedback 
2. From the feedback form, Mr. Vinod wrote that I need to provide pictures of books from my further reading. 
Where is your feedback? Update your feedback immediately upon receiving it. Do not delete the red text. You type in black.      
You need to provide pictures of the book that you read in further reading.

(Week 6)
General Feedback 
1. Link all textboxes and do not make them disconnected. 
2. If you have variation of designs, keep them all in one Indesign file. 
3. Get a mouse by next week

Specific Feedback
1. Open Controls from Windows, and leave it open for the rest of our lives. 
2. Mr. Vinod commented on my work stating that the covers were good, but certain elements of my text could be worked upon. 
3. To remove existing widows and orphans in my work. 
4. He removed unnecessary lines and shapes and simplified my text, allowing more white space and movement into my layout. 

REFLECTION
Experience :
Project 1 did not go smoothly for me, as I was held back by my illness due to the haze. However, if I had planned and prepared my time properly, I don't think I would've been as held back as I was. I was rushing to complete my work on time, that in my haste I forgot to document the process and only have the end results with me which is exactly against the purpose of this E-Portfolio. 

Observations :
Simplicity at times shine more than complexity of design. As a student, I observe that I feel as if I have to do things very 'over the top', but honestly, I have to learn to remove elements from my design as opposed to just adding and piling on them. 

Findings :
I find that time management, and proper processing and documentation is very important to maintain good work. I should keep a timer or something and make sure I do not forget to document my process accordingly. I have to be more vigilant in the near future. 

FURTHER READING 
Book 1


Figure 5.1 ; Typographic Design: Form and Communication
I am still reading this book posted on the Facebook page, and in all honesty, after reading a couple of pages in this book, I felt like I was bombarded with so much information, that I frankly did not know how to process all of them. I am an avid reader, and I still had to read pages again and again to get the grasp of all the information it was giving. 

The first couple of pages spoke about the history of typography, reminiscing the second lecture that we had. It was mostly photos of the history followed by some information about it. 

Following that -where I am currently reading- is the breakdown of letterforms analysed. Information such as the x-height, parts of the letterform such as the arm, ear, link, bowl as follows : 


Figure 5.11; Anatomy of Type

Figure 5.12 ; Proportions of the letter form

Comments

Popular Posts