Information Design - Project 1 & 2


Jenani Raja Saker (0334331)
Information Design
Project 1 & 2
__________________________________________________________

Introduction

For Project 1. we were intended to use all the information the we had gathered, researched and studied, from our FLIP Classroom and apply it into creating a "Process" infographic of recreating a step-by-step guide of a recipe of our choice. 

Whereas for Project 2, we had to either make a gif. out of our poster, or make a video 

Further on, is my process beginning from :

1. Research
2. Ideation & Sketching
3. Moodboard
4. Creating in Illustrator 

Let the learning commence!
__________________________________________________________

Research
Initially, I had planned on recreating a recipe of a liquid edible.  drink, basically and got inspiration from this a milk, that I used to drink at night to help me with my sleep. It is called, Moon Milk. Hence, I knew the recipe as I had been making it for sometime now. 

Through out the sketching process I sort of knew what I wanted it to look like, but whilst I was putting it together in Illustrator, I just couldn't make it work. 






I was pretty bummed out about it. And hence I decided to take a frustration nap. Little did I know, that my frustration nap would make me discover a better Idea. Whilst napping, I had the weirdest dream about the movie Ratatouille, and whilst I was enjoying it, it suddenly struck my mind! The French dish, Ratatouille!!! 

It was perfect, since it was a vegetarian dish and under one of my - to-cook- lists. Hence, I began taking reference of the French Restaurant in the movie, and screenshots of the dish as a reference. 
(psst.. fun fact.. did you know that Netflix does not allow you to take screenshots? trust me, I learnt it the hard way...)

Reference for the dish : 

Reference for Ratatouille dish and ingredients.

Delicious looking Ratatouille. 

 Reference for the interior and exterior :

Reference for interior items such as : curtains, chairs and tables.
Reference for the style of bricks and colour

Reference for the colour of the bricks. 

Reference for the floor tiling.
Reference for interior wall. 

Reference for interior dining area and curtains. 

Reference for the top level dining :

Reference for top level dining.

References for flowers, vines and lighting.
References for flowers, vines and lighting.
 Reference for typography :

Reference of typography

Then I began sketching the restaurant in an isometric design (though I later realised that I was wrong), and imported it into Illustrator and started working on it. 

Following are the elements within the poster : 

1. The main layout of the building
2. The bricks (in different angles)
3. Each ingredient and tool
4. Vines and Flowers
5. Tiny tables and chairs
6. Curtains
7. Light Bulbs and Wires
8. Standing Lamps










Below is the progress of the making of the dish: 





I didn't manage to capture the entirety of my progress, but here are several screenshots of the references and so on. 

















Below is the completed poster of the Recipe. 


Final Poster, Ratatouille Recipe

For the Animated style, I decided to go for a simple gif. poster and wanted to make shutters close and open to indicate the steps fo the recipe. Below is the folders and the details and the final gif.



Final gif. Animated Recipe, Ratatouille
__________________________________________________________

Reflection

The experience of making this poster taught me that honestly, everything doesn't usually happens the way you want, but you have to trust the process and yourself. Ideas can form out of nowhere. Another thing that I am grateful for, is that, I finally learnt how to use the software of Illustrator. This assignment forced me to learn the tool and I was able to create the poster more or less as how I wanted. 


Comments

Popular Posts